In trying to live a more frugal life, getting better at handling projects that require professionals to do is definitely an advantage. In addition to home improvement projects, people nowadays have learned to perform some auto repair Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Wilton Manors, Lighthouse Point, and Lauderdale By The Sea and new car maintenance tasks on their own. While it is always better to seek the help of an expert, there are repairs or maintenance that can be done on your own. And yes, they can be performed quickly and easily, with minimal expenses. This is perfect for those of you who fought for a flexible car finance and now want to get the best value for your buck.
Changing your car’s air filter is one of the most basic tasks in performing Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Wilton Manors, Lighthouse Point, and Lauderdale By The Sea’s new car maintenance. You need a new one every 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can pay a mechanic and give up your car for a day, or you can replace your air filter at home in about ten minutes.
- First, find your filter under the hood of your car. It is in a black rectangular box with metal clips on the side. Check your owner’s manual if you do not see it as soon as you pop the hood.
- Open up the casing, and check out how the air filter fits inside it. Make a note of which way the filter faces.
- Remove the old air filter, and insert the new one exactly how the old one sat.
- Remember to close the metal clips when you are done.
That is it. For extra savings in the long run, you can extend the life of your new air filter by hitting it with some compressed air to clear out any debris.
You will need new wiper blades after about six months or a year of use. You probably tend to go a little longer before asking your mechanic to change them as part of new car maintenance, but you should not deal with the danger of streaking while you put off an inconvenient trip to the auto shop.
Wiper blade setup differs quite a bit from car to car, so you may have to follow a few different steps according to your owner’s manual. Basically, the process is similar to changing your air filter:
- Lift the blades, as if you were washing your windshield by hand, and remove the old blades.
- Pay attention to how the old blades connect to the metal arms.
- On most models, you will see a tab on the underside of the wiper. Push the tab to remove the old blade.
- Attach the new blades, being careful not to bend the wiper arms or scratch your windshield. Line everything up and make sure the new ones are secure and tight.
If you get distracted or just cannot remember exactly how the new blades should fit on the wiper arm, do not worry. The packaging for the new blades should have a general set of instructions and a helpful diagram.
Most spark plugs need replacing after about 30,000 miles, but check your owner’s manual to see if your vehicle is any different.
While changing spark plugs might sound like intense work, it is a pretty simple process. You just need to set aside some time and exercise patience. Do not rush, because you need to install the replacements in a specific order.
- You should be able to locate your spark plugs fairly easily, because they are attached to thick rubbery wires.
- You will find either four, six, or eight plugs, depending on how many cylinders your car has.
- Remove the wire to the first spark plug only. Do not remove all of the wires at once. Your spark plugs are installed in a certain order, which you need to maintain.
- Use your spark plug socket and extension on your ratchet to remove the first spark plug.
- Install the new spark plug, screwing it in by hand at first and then tightening it with a wrench for a snug fit. Do not over-tighten.
- Re-attach the spark plug wire.
Repeat these steps for each spark plug, one at a time. If you buy the right plugs, you will not have to worry about “gapping” the plugs, because they will come pre-gapped.
Want to know more about new car maintenance in Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Wilton Manors, Lighthouse Point, and Lauderdale By The Sea? Call us now at Empire Auto Care! We offer the best maintenance and repair services, all at affordable rates. Give us a call now to get a free estimate!