Why do you need auto repair tips in the first place you might be wondering? Well, having your own car gives you a sense of freedom. You’re able to go to places that are further away and don’t have to wait for a ride. When your 16 years old this is a big deal. When your older and working it become even a bigger deal because your car is really your means to everything. However, owning a car means that you are also susceptible to breakdowns at any given time. Which could mean an unexpected trip to a auto mechanic or stranded on the highway somewhere. Even newer cars without proper maintenance could be a disaster waiting to happen. Let see those auto repair tips now.
These auto repair tips should help to prepare you for such a situation:
- Older car? Invest in a quality battery charger, jumper cables, and always keep it in your car. Dead batteries are pretty common and you can help others if you own a battery charger or jumper cables. Before you drive again, figure out how to use it properly.
- Ask mechanics if they have worked on your particular make and model of car before contracting with them. If they have experience with your type of car, they are more likely able to correctly diagnose and fix the problems your vehicle is having.
- Educate yourself on your car’s manual and bookmark important pages. If you have to get an auto repair, the mechanics will need to know specifics from the manual that are unique to your car. The manual may give you information to help you easily fix a problem.
- Check out reviews about body shops online. This is a good way of getting an idea on what other customers think of the mechanic’s skills and customer service. Use these reviews to eliminate unreliable mechanics and make a list of mechanic you want to contact to get a quote.
- Once an auto shop has made repairs to your car, test drive it to ensure they did a good job. If you don’t do this, you may not have the appropriate problem repaired. This may seem like one of those common sense auto repair tips. However, you would be shocked how many people drive away with the problem not fixed at unreliable auto mechanics.
- Leave nothing in your car when you take it to the auto repair shop. Your mechanic may need these items removed so that they can make repairs. If you discover missing items later, they hold no liability. The same is true of your trunk or the bed of your truck.
- Have you noticed that your headlights aren’t shining very brightly? If so, ensure you are cleaning them regularly. Sometimes the road can create a greasy residue on the headlight. Use glass cleaner to clean them, and you will notice a big difference.
- Check to see that your technician knows what he is doing. If they are talking in circles and avoiding your questions, you should take your business elsewhere. Having a mechanic you can trust is extremely important; don’t waste your time with one who can’t make you confident in his skills.
- Wiper blades are a very important component to your car. You may need new blades if they are streaking or making noises. You should replace wiper blades at least once a year or more often if you live in an area where rain is commonplace or if you notice your wiper blades are worn out. (just in case you want to read some boring details on wiper blades check out wikipedia article all about wiper blades here).
Bonus Auto Repair Tips:
- Look at flashing lights on your dashboard and learn what each one signifies. They’re there for a reason. Ignoring these warning lights will not make the problem go away.
- Repairs do not always have to run into the thousands. Quite often the repair could be very inexpensive if you catch it before it turns into a big problem. Make it a habit to talk to the honest auto mechanics, like us at Empire Auto Care, regarding even the small little things. A good honest mechanic will let you know if it’s something to worry about or not. It is a much better feeling to hear your mechanic say “good thing we caught this early it’s an easy fix”. Verses hearing “wow, wish you would have brought this in earlier it’s a big fix now”.
Apply the auto repair tips from this article to keep your vehicle in good shape. Got questions about your car? Let us know. We pride our selves on honestly and being a long term partner helping you stay on the road and your car running smooth. Look at our Auto Repair Services page for more info on how we can help.